The Capacity Building Programs department conducts collaborative and contextualized training and builds practical tools to enhance the capacities of government and non-government partners to design and implement effective policies, programs and projects in CVE. This includes projects related to Preventing Violent Extremism Through Education, Rehabilitation and Reintegration of Violent Extremist Offenders, National Action Plans to Prevent and Counter Violent Extremism, Supporting Families in CVE, and Community Oriented Policing, STRIVE Global supporting and building the capacity of local NGO’s and research institutions among many others.
This position is located in the Capacity Building Programs Department of Hedayah. The incumbent will oversee and strategically lead the department and direct its activities in line with Hedayah’s goals, policies and procedures.
Send a short cover letter and CV to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than January 2nd, 2022.
For further inquiries (before applying) you may contact the Deputy Executive Director by email on email@example.com
- Promote Hedayah’s vision and interests and ensure the successful implementation of the Capacity Building Program Department’s objectives, globally
- Support and ensure the promotion of the department achievements and impact of the programs with key stakeholders
- Directly report to the Deputy Executive Director on the progress of strategic goals and objectives related to the Capacity Building Programs Department
- Provide strategic direction for the further growth of the Capacity Building Programs Department.
- Further Establish and grow a Capacity Program Area that will promote multi-disciplinary CVE conversation and facilitate collaborative interactions, among other activities.
- Oversee the proper execution of the Department’s programmatic activities.
- Oversee and lead activities to increase the resources, capabilities and reputation of the Capacity Building Programs Department.
- Further develop, build and maintain strategic relationships and partnerships with diverse government, academic, civil society and private sector actors to engage them in Hedayah’s activities.
- Review proposals for Capacity Building programs and seek for new funding initiatives.
- Oversee the design and development of the Capacity Building programs and initiatives in accordance with the objectives of the organization.
- Ensure complementarity and synergies among the department and other department programs, in order to ensure largest impact at regional and country level.
- Oversee and monitor the implementation of the Capacity Building Program Department’s work and plans to ensure activities are managed and implemented successfully and with impact, in line with Hedayah’s strategic priorities.
- Lead the Capacity Building Team, managing staff performance and ensuring tasks are delivered efficiently and effectively with consistent quality and encouraging teamwork.
- Lead the further development of policies and procedures related to the Capacity Building Programs Department to effectively manage all related activities, ensuring regulatory compliance and alignment with donor requirements and deadlines as well as overseeing the departmental and programatical budgets.
- Provide expert advice and guidance to support the delivery of the Capacity Building programs and initiatives and support the team directly.
- Cooperate and collaborate with other Hedayah Departments and Directors for the effective implementation of Hedayah’s wider objectives and activities.
- Contribute to Hedayah management activities, products and deliverables.
Qualifications and Experience
- An advanced level university degree (Master’s Degree or academic equivalent) in International Relations, Political Science, Social Sciences, Terrorism Studies or related field.
- A minimum of ten (10) years of progressively responsible experience in relevant fields to include project or program management, administration, international security or countering violent extremism is required.
- Three (3) to Five (5) years of managerial experience is required.
- At least three (3) years of working experience on issues related to countering violent extremism is required.
- Experience in implementing pragmatic approaches.
- Experience in working in an international, multi-cultural working environment is required.
- Experience in managing capacity building programs and projects within an international or regional organization, national government, or major service provider is desirable.
- Experience in working in or with government entities is desirable.
- Experience in working in or with civil society organizations, networks, etc. is desirable as well as in third countries or in complex contexts; leading to understanding in depth political sensitivity.
- Experience in engaging with stakeholders at the senior and executive level is desirable.
Key Skills Required
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills;
- Fluent in English; familiarity with an additional language is a plus;
- Excellent program management and implementation skills;
- Ability to communicate effectively with diverse stakeholders including governments, policy makers, community leaders and actors, NGOs, practitioners and experts;
- Able to manage internal and external relationships with diplomacy, cultural sensitivity and discretion;
- Ability to meet deadlines under pressure;
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite;
- Willingness to travel, including to medium to high-risk countries.
- Compensation commensurate with experience.
- The recruit shall start as soon as possible in Abu Dhabi and the contract shall initially be for two years, renewable subject to performance and availability of funds.